[EM] Re: Total Approval Ranked Pairs

Ted Stern tedstern at mailinator.com
Tue Mar 15 09:16:58 PST 2005

On 15 Mar 2005 at 08:34 PST, Ted Stern wrote:
>On 14 Mar 2005 at 22:02 PST, Jobst Heitzig wrote:
>> Dear Forest, Russ, and Ted!
>>
>> I suggest that we call the method we discussed under various names
>> in the last days ARC (Approval Runoff Condorcet) and continue to
>> study its properties, especially its anti-strategy properties.

One more thing I'd like to clarify.

The ballot format part of Russ's ARC aka RAV proposal disallows equal rank and
ranking below the approval cutoff.

I do not agree with that part of the proposal.  I think that such restrictions
are unnecessary and are just another example of caving in and letting IRV
advocates frame the alternative voting method debate.

Another key argument about combining Instant Round-Robin (aka Condorcet) with
Approval should be checks and balances.  Condorcet alone, Approval alone, or
IRV alone can each fail in some situations.  But Condorcet augmented by
Approval is actually simpler and more resistant to manipulation than Condorcet
alone.

Ted
--
 Ted Stern
   change reply address to tedstern at u dot washington dot edu