[EM] Round Robins

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Mar 15 01:45:29 PST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 06:53:52 +0100 Jobst Heitzig wrote:

> Dear Dave!
>
> You wrote:
>
>>Agreed you do not need (n-1)*n/2 pairwise comparisons BUT, seems to me
>>ROWS went too far:
>>     It will happily and efficiently return the CW if there is one.
>>     It does not know if there is a cycle, though the winner of the n-1
>>comparisons will, at least, be a cycle member.
>>
>>Easiest I can think of is another n-1 comparisons to see if the apparent
>>winner is CW or only a cycle member and, if a member, keep going til you
>>have the complete cycle.
>>

> That's a nice suggestion for the "justification" step of the method but
> it doesn't change the winner. Or did you mean to say that a method
> should not elect a candidate unless it "knows" in which defeat cycles
> s/he is?
>
> Yours, Jobst

I suspect I did not emphasize enough so, assume we are doing only n-1,
A should win, the cycle is A>B>C>A, and C is the first member found (does
not matter if there is a D, for such will be discarded as soon as we have
a cycle member).
     PROVIDED B is the next cycle member, it will take over and
recognize A as final winner when found.
     BUT IF A is the next cycle member, C will reject it and accept B as
final winner when that is found.

                  If you want peace, work for justice.