[EM] Re: Total Approval Ranked Pairs (Was "Re: Ted's Total Approval Beatpath")

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Mon Mar 14 13:14:57 PST 2005

Here's the original recursive procedure that I gave for Approval Seeded
Bubble Sort:

1. List the candidates in order of approval, from top to bottom.

2. Percolate the bottom candidate as far as possible up the recursively
sorted list of the other candidates.

How's that for concise?

Jobst is right: the winner is the lowest approval score candidate that
beats all of the candidates with greater approval, which turns out to be
the same as the first CW that eventually appears as low approval
candidates are eliminated successively.

Furthermore, the set P of all candidates none of which is beaten by any
candidate with greater approval turns out to be the set of candidates that
are as high or higher than the approval winner in the sorted order.

> As others (Kevin?  Gervase?  Alex?) have mentioned during the last
> couple of days, it could be easier to simply have two sets of
> rankings, some approved and some disapproved.  I think any even number
> of options from 6 to 10 would be adequate, with the approval cutoff in
> the middle.  Perhaps 6 would be a good starting point for a public
> proposal.

Using powers of two for the number of ranks makes the most efficient use
of bits. Eight would be just right, requiring just three bits to rank or
rate zero through seven:

Before marking:

   John Doe  (4) (2) (1)

After marking:

   John Doe  (*) (2) (*)

[John Doe's rating is five, the sum of the shaded bits.]

Forest