[EM] Round Robins pass 2

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Mar 14 10:43:16 PST 2005

Last posts on Round Robins discussed what happens on sports Round Robins
if there is a tie for first - thinking that their solution might be useful
in voting:
      Tournament sponsor BETTER have set up a plan ahead of time - of
which I found some via Yahoo!
      What follows explains why I see us continuing to develop our
elections plans, rather than copying.

After looking, I LIKE sports Round Robins tournaments as a base BUT, EACH
VOTER ranks candidates and conducts a tournament among all candidates, in
which wins are based on:
      Both candidates ranked - ranking selects winner.
      One candidate ranked - and wins for loser not playing.
      Neither candidate ranked - so no game and no score.

At end of season (election), all tournament results are added together to
determine season winner.  It is here that cycles can occur.

 From another post:

> Second, Ralph Suter wrote:
>>The only problem with IRR is when there is no Condorcet winner.
>>But as far as I know, elections with no CW are totally theoretical.
>>For them to happen would require voters to seriously confused
>>about their preferences for different candidates.

I see no confusion in the following:
      A and B have serious believers, so that their 65>35 split is expected.
      C is much like B, but says SOMETHING in a way that sells a majority
of B backers 33>32.
35 A
32 B
33 C>B

A>C 35>33
C>B 33>32
B>A 65>35

Two reasons for providing for cycles:
      They can happen, so be prepared.
      If not prepared, you tempt fate too much, and better expect them.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.