[EM] sequential dropping

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Mon Mar 14 05:41:37 PST 2005

>However, I see the following problem: When someone promotes a
>Condorcet method that violates monotonicity, then he cannot use
>IRV's violation of this criterion as an argument against IRV.

	Yes, that is true, but I rarely if ever use monotonicity failure as an
argument against IRV. I feel that there are many pro-Condorcet/anti-IRV
arguments that are substantially more convincing. Of course, all else
being equal, I prefer that a method be monotonic.

>In situation 2 of my 12 July 2000 mail, beatpath chooses candidate F
>while sequential dropping chooses candidate D. You can fill the
>remaining pairwise defeats with arbitrarily chosen numbers. Then
>this example could look e.g. as follows:

	Thank you Markus. What a complex and interesting example! Am I correct in
thinking that minimax chooses E in this example, ranked pairs chooses D,
and river chooses F?

my best,
James