[EM] sequential dropping

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Mon Mar 14 05:03:15 PST 2005

Marcus,

I  understand that what is usually meant  by  "monotonicity" is what
Woodall calls "Mono-raise".

" Mono-raise: a candidate x should not be harmed if x is raised on some
ballots without changing the orders of the other candidates."
On the other hand, what you refer to here is not Mono-raise but is
instead what Woodall calls "Mono-add-top".

> /SD chooses candidate A. /  / Act II: // If "DE 19" is changed to "DE
> 10" then SD chooses // candidate D. /

"Mono-add-top: a candidate x should not be harmed if further ballots are
added that have x top (and are otherwise arbitrary)."

You have just done the operation back-to-front. Woodall writes that we
can't have all three of  his Plurality property, Condorcet(Net)
and  Mono-add-top.
Mono-add-top is met by IRV, but is failed by all fashionable  and (IMHO)
reasonable  Condorcet methods.

Chris Benham