[EM] Ted's Total Approval Beatpath

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Sat Mar 12 16:10:46 PST 2005

Dear Ted,

Your TAB method is what I used to call "Approval Seeded Bubble Sort."

Then after a year of thinking that it was my invention I came across an
article about the Kemeny Order in which the authors called our bubble
sort process "Local Kemenization" and suggested using it as a way of
refining various other orders including the Border order.

One thing that bothered me was lack of reverse symmetry, so I eventually
came to this version:

Start with the approval order (greatest to least approval <--> top to
bottom).

While any candidate is beaten by the candidate immediately above her ...

    swap the two adjacent candidates with the greatest "discrepancy"

EndWhile

The winner is the candidate that ends up at the top of the list.

It's like lining up recruits for drill, and sorting them into order of
height by successive swaps, most urgent first.

"Discrepancy," like defeat strength can be measured in several ways.

If you use margins, or some other symmetric measure, then the final order
reverses when all of the ballots are reversed.

However this reverse symmetry may not be the best goal when trying to
discourage manipulation.

Forest