[EM] Why IRV is popular

Alex Small alex_small2002 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 12 15:00:36 PST 2005

I mostly agree with Russ.

Another reason why IRV is popular is that it's basically an expanded and automated version of an election method already used for many local elections in the US, as well as elections to some higher offices in at least 2 states (Nebraska and Louisiana):  2-step runoff.  People are familiar with 2 step runoff, and it makes intuitive sense.  Yes, I know, the majority generated by runoffs isn't as legitimate as being the Condorcet Winner, but at first glance it sounds good.

If cycles were impossible then I think Condorcet would have a real shot at public acceptance.  But since cycles are always a possibility, we have to include them in the discussion.

On the other hand, I don't follow sports at all but a friend was telling me that in some tournaments the teams will start off in groups of 3, and will play 3 games among themselves.  The undefeated team in each group will advance, and if there's no undefeated team in the group then they'll do something with the margins of victory to figure out who advances.  That sounds awfully similar to some Condorcet methods.

Does anybody know anything about these methods and whether sports fans find them too confusing?

Alex