[EM] IRV Failures

Diana Galletly dag1000 at eng.cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 23:50:11 PST 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> IRV CANNOT AFFORD to do the complete vote counts that would permit
> comparison.  Ballots sometimes are kept around for recounts - if these
> were counted by Condorcet rules we would have ammunition.  Even here it
> would take a lot of recounting for, usually, Condorcet and IRV are going
> to agree.

It is particularly frustrating when one believes a miscarriage of justice
has occurred, the ballots are still around, and The Powers That Be refuse
either to do the counting using Condorcet ("too much work" -- plus they
probably didn't know how) or to let me do it instead ("privacy issues").

*Particularly* so when even they later agree that it's quite likely a
miscarriage of justice, blame the ballot paper design rather than IRV,
and let the results stand because it helps their cause.

Diana.