[EM] IRV Failures

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Tue Mar 8 08:03:33 PST 2005

Eric,

> So, to make it simple, is there a case where IRV has been used (in a
> government election), with no doubt as to the integrity of the count,
> but where there has been widespread belief that the winner was a poor
> one?

Speaking as someone who has lived in Australia all my life, I would
reply: "as far as I've noticed, not really".
There would have been some where Condorcet-minded people might have
demurred, but none such are in evidence in Australia; so there was
definitely
"no widespread belief that the winner was a poor one" in the sense that
anyone else winning would have been seen as legitimate.

Chris Benham