[EM] Condorcet-Approval hybrid method

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Mar 7 00:06:52 PST 2005

Daniel Bishop wrote:
> Russ Paielli wrote:
>
>> Daniel Bishop dbishop-at-neo.tamu.edu |EMlist| wrote:

> For example, consider an election with 12 candidates.  Your ballot might
> look like
>
> _1_ Favorite
> _2_ Good #1
> _2_ Good #2
> _2_ Good #3
> _3_ Tolerable #1
> _3_ Tolerable #2
> _3_ Tolerable #3
> _3_ Tolerable #4
> _4_ Bad #1
> _4_ Bad #2
> _4_ Bad #3
> _5_ Evil

I still fail to see why you think you need the equal rankings. If you
really rate a group of candidates exactly equal, why would you care
which order you put them in? Just flip a coin. Or perhaps you think you
gain some strategic advantage by ranking them equal -- which is
precisely one reason I lean toward disallowing it.

>> And why would you even rank/approve the last candidate?
>

> First of all, I disagree that "ranking" and "approving" should be
> equivalent.  A better approach is to have the voter mark their least
> favorite approved candidate, and give an approval vote to everyone at
> that rank or better.  That forces the approval votes to be consistent
> with the rank list, while still letting a voter say "I don't approve of
> either Bad or Evil, but I'd rather have Bad than Evil".
>
> The point of ranking a last candidate is exactly the same as ranking a
> first candidate: to express a preference.  But your proposal makes
> voting much harder for people with a strong last preference.

You have a point. I am open to the idea of allowing ranking past the
approval cutoff point. The voter interface would be a bit more
complicated but perhaps not too bad.

--Russ