[EM] Condorcet-Approval hybrid method

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Mar 6 22:55:13 PST 2005

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 13:05:09 -0800 Russ Paielli wrote:

> Daniel Bishop dbishop-at-neo.tamu.edu |EMlist| wrote:
>
>> Russ Paielli wrote:
>

>>> I would start by simply choosing the CW if one exists, or paring the
>>> field down to the Smith set otherwise. Then I would eliminate the
>>> candidate with the lowest approval and repeat.
>>>
>>> I thought of this yesterday while I was working out, and I thought I
>>> had come up with something big. Then I searched the EM archives and
>>> discovered that Kevin Venzke had mentioned it way back in 2003.
>>>
>>> Oh, by the way, I would *not* allow equal rankings. Why not? I just
>>> don't like them.
>>

>> Not a very convincing reason to me.
>

> Well, at least it's honest!
>
>>> They strike me as an unnecessary complication
>>

>> How are they a complication?  If anything, equal rankings make it
>> *easier* to construct a pairwise matrix.
>

> Equal rankings complicate matters for several reasons:
>
> -- They create a potential debate about how they should be counted.
> Actually, this may not be an issue if you use the Condorcet-Approval
> hybrid scheme I explained above, so this objection may not be valid in
> this context. (The old "margins vs. wv" debate will be irrelevant!)

Agreed - but no bigger deal than many we discus - with wv is my thought.

> -- They complicate the vote-counting procedure and corresponding
> software. This may seem trivial in an academic environment, but in the
> real world it will be another potential source of bugs.

It is trivial in the real world - a small detail on general design.

> -- They complicate the voter interface and voting procedures. Yes, equal
> rankings are simple to implement with a vector of radio buttons next to
> each candidate's name, but I can virtually guarantee that such an
> interface will be considered unacceptable for general public use.

Actually, they simplify the rules for what I promote for paper ballots (we
about MUST have paper for absentees, etc.) - suggesting that electronics
should follow what is easy on paper.  Specifically, let voter indicate
rank as a single character in a field beside each candidate name.  Some
voters are going to enter duplicate ranks even if it is forbidden, so I
suggest making it legal and counting accordingly.

> -- Last but not least, they complicate the explanation of the method to
> the general public. Just getting the public to understand and accept
> ranked voting will be a major endeavor in itself. Any unnecessary
> complications will just irritate the public and provide ammunition for
> those who dismiss the method as too complicated.

Looks like I covered this above.

>>> and little more than a way to game the system.
>>

>> There's a potentially important practical advantage, in that it allows
>> voters to cast a Cardinal Rankings-style ballot.  For example, you
>> could let:
>>
>> Rank 1 = ideal candidate
>> Rank 2 = candidate I have minor disagreements with
>> Rank 3 = candidate I have major disagreements with
>> Rank 4 = candidate I wouldn't vote for even if he were running against
>> Hitler and Stalin

I would let the voter rank as above, while seeing no particular value in
it, since all I see is =, <, and >, based on comparing each pair of ranks.

I would not require ranking all, though reading a suggestion that ballot
counters could supplement the ranking makes it time to think more.

> I don't understand your point here. Are you ranking any of those
> candidates equal? And why would you even rank/approve the last
> candidate? Or are you proposing to rank more than one candidate at each
> of the four levels?
>
>> If there are a large number of candidates, this could be considerably
>> easier for the voter than casting a fully-ranked ballot.
>

> You wouldn't need to rank any more candidates than you would approve in
> an Approval election.
>
> --Russ

                  If you want peace, work for justice.