[EM] Re: chain climbing methods

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Sat Mar 5 21:19:13 PST 2005

My email server was down for a while, but I'm glad to see this message
from Jobst.

I like the TACC option the best, but I would like to suggest the following
variation (which I will call TACC+ if you don't mind):

After finding the (deterministic) TACC winner, create a lottery based on
random ballot among the set of all candidates that have at least as much
approval as the TACC winner.

This method is definitely monotone:  If the TACC winner or anyone above
him in approval is the only candidate to move up in the rankings on the
ballots, then the TACC winner remains the TACC winner (assuming that
approval counts don't change), so the set on which the lottery is based
remains the same, and only the TACC winner has a chance of increasing his
winning probability in the lottery.

If the TACC winner A has an approval count increases, advancing him up the
approval ladder, a candidate lower on this ladder (but not below A's
original position) now has a chance of taking his place as the TACC
winner, but that's OK, since A has greater approval than the new TACC
winner, so is still included in the new lottery.

This new lottery is based on a subset of the original lottery members
(those that are above the new TACC winner were all above A's original
position), and the number of ballots on which A is first is the only one
that might have increased, so A's winning probability in this new lottery
is at least as good as in the old one.

Can you see any holes in that sketch of an argument?

Now here's another lottery method I favor because, although it tends to
spread the probability around more promiscuously, it has nice properties:

First find the highest approval score alpha such that no candidate with
approval less than alpha beats (pairwise) any candidate with an approval
score of alpha or higher.

Then do random ballot relative to the candidates that have approval scores
greater than or equal to alpha.

That's it.  Let's call it Viable Candidate Random Ballot (VCRB).

This method is monotone and clone proof.

It also has this nice property:

If the candidates with approval less than alpha are eliminated, and the
method is run again, then it will produce the exact same winning
probabilities as before (as long as approval scores are not adjusted to
reflect the new realities).

What should we call this?  Independence from zero probability candidates?
This would work if we assume that each candidate is ranked first on at
least one ballot.

Or we could call it independence from non-viable candidates.

But the best thing about this method (VCRB) is that it seems to
consistently punish insincere order reversals.

It handles Kevin's 49C, 24B(sincere>>A), 27A>B>>C, example quite nicely by
giving the same lottery .49C+.24B+.27A for both the sincere and the
insincere cases.  In neither case does any candidate have any approval
below alpha=27.

But I'm afraid that neither TACC nor my modification TACC+ would dissuade
the B voters from their truncation.

Still, TACC+, with its greater frugality in doling out probability might
be better than VCRB for most applications.

Incidently, it was fun proving VCRB's monotonicity.  When I have more time
I will write it up, but you might enjoy doing it yourself.

Forest