[EM] Condorcet-Approval hybrid method

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Sat Mar 5 19:54:18 PST 2005

Russ asked about what we used to call "Approval Completed Condorcet."

The legendary Demorep was an avid proponent of several variations of this
idea, one of which he christened ACMA for Approval, Condorcet, Maximum
Approval, a three step method:

Step 1: Approval: first eliminate all candidates with more disapproval
than approval.

Step 2: Condorcet: elect the Condorcet Winner among the remaining
candidates if there is one.

Step 3: Maximum Approval: in the case of no CW in step 2, elect the
candidate with maximum approval.

Like I say, Demorep and others came up with many variations on this,
including using truncation for the approval cutoff.  But note advocating
this truncation approach for an approval cutoff is tantamount to thumbing
one's nose at the later-no-harm criterion that Kevin is trying valiantly
to rescue.

My idea was to use standard ordinal ranking ballots with a kind of
artificial candidate called MAC for Minimum Acceptable Candidate, or NOTB
for None of the Below, or some other catchy name.  The voters indicate
their approval cutoff by ranking all of their approved candidates above
this artificial candidate, and all others below it. Approval scores can
then be found in the column of the pairwise matrix corresponding to this
artificial candidate.

More recently I suggest adding a suitable lottery to the list of
candidates.  This lottery serves as a kind of approval cutoff.  One can
then implement Demorep's ACMA with a ready answer to the frequent
question, "What if no candidate gets more than 50% approval in step one?"

Demorep never really answered that to my satisfaction.  But if no
candidate beats the artificial one, then the artificial candidate is the
CW, and should be the winner.  If the artificial candidate is a lottery,
and the lottery is the CW, then that means that the flesh and blood winner
should be chosen by the lottery.

If the artificial candidate is NOTB, then the whole election should be
done again from scratch.  But this may not be practical in many cases.
One might elect the closest flesh and blood runner up to NOTB, i.e. the
candidate that came the closest to achieving 50% approval, with the
proviso that the winner has no "mandate," or something like that.

I kind of like the lottery idea, especially if the lottery is a nice one
like Jobst has been advocating lately.

Forest