[EM] Why my criteria

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 5 06:48:28 PST 2005

I already said that my criteria are intended to measure for the goal of
getting rid of the lesser-of-2-evils problem, the goal of minimizing need
for defensive strategy that keeps people from expressing what they actually
want in an election.

But I´d like to clarify that a bit. This is something that I´ve already said
before, but, with the discussion these days, this is a good time to say it
again:

A majority can get its way. The only question is, what does thaat majority
have to in order to get its way.

The lesser-of-2-evils problem is a problem for a majority, for instance. For
example, say that, in Florida in 2000, there was a strong majority who
preferred Kerry to Bush. But they almost lost, because a few
Nader-preferrers voted for Nader instead of helping Kerry (That´s ok if,
like me, you didn´t consider Kerry deserving of a vote). Well, it´s ok in
the sense that I vote that way, but it isn´t ok that it lets Kerry lose when
a majority prefer Kerry to Bush.

So the problem is when a majority need drastic falsification in order to
protect majority rule.

I define defensive strategy as strategy intended to protect the win of a CW
or to protect majority rule. A precise definition of majority rule will be
posted as soon as I catch up with the current and recent e-mail.

Because the lesser-of-2-evils problem is a problem of a majority, what that
majority has to do in order to protect majority rule, it ísn´t surprising
that most of my defensive strategy criteria are about a majority.

If a majority all want the same candidate to win, with almost any method
they can easily make him/her win by all just voting that candidate over
everyone else. Borda is an exception to that, because, with Borda, they
could need to know how their opponents are voting in order to make their
common favorite win. But, as I said, Borda is an exception.

But isn´t easy for a majority to keep a particular candidate from winning.
In the well-known lesser-of-2-evils problem, the problem is to keep the
greater-evil from winning. And the problem is that it´s necessary for some
voters to bury their favorite in order to do so. (Well that situation
doesn´t necessarily really exist in our political system, but, due to the
lesser-of-2-evils problem, the mere media-deceived belief that that´s so is
enogh to make it effectively so).

So my majority defensive strategy criteria are about what a majority has to
do in order to keep some greater-evil from winning.

So the subject of those criteria was chosen directly from the obvious nature
of tjhe lesser-of-2-evils problem. What does a majority need to do in order
to keep some greater-evil from winning?

No, I´m not saying that, in a person´s preference ordering, there´s
necessarily one distinct greater-evil, as opposed so a smooth gradation of
preference. I clarify that, before someone points it out to me. But the fact
remains that, so often, there is a candidate whom a majority (at least think
that they) need to bury their favorite in order to defeat. That´s why I
wrote the majority defensive strategy criteria.

Mike Ossipoff