[EM] Condorcet-Approval hybrid method

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Mar 3 19:31:01 PST 2005

Dave,

 --- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
> Why bother?
>
> How often do you get a cycle in a real election?

I don't know why you always say that cycles would be rare. I think they would
be fairly common, for example:

49 A
24 B
27 C>B

This scenario doesn't require a conflicted electorate. It just takes some
truncation.

>      While we must provide for cycles because they would CERTAINLY happen
> if we did not make provision, I claim there are limits to how fancy we
> need to get for something so rare.

> Mixing in Approval complicates strategy considerations even though, as
> noted above, it rarely affects results.

Actually, the strategy should be easier. I know that you understand Approval
strategy, even if it offends you to have to use it. However, I don't think
you even understand the rules of cycle resolution based on defeat strength, so
how can you claim which has more complicated strategy?

Kevin Venzke