[EM] R. B. MacSmith

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Wed Mar 2 11:48:47 PST 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Jobst Heitzig wrote:

> Dear Forest!
>
> When I understand you right, you propose to just strike out all strongly
> covered candidates and then use Random Ballot on the rest, right?
>
> But then there must be some error in your proof of monotonicity, I fear --
> look at the following example:
>
>     Situation 1:  Situation 2:
>     |             |
> Ballots:
>  2  A>B>>C>D      ditto
>  2  B>C>>D>A      ditto
>  2  C>D>>A>B      ditto
>  2  D>A>>B>C      ditto
>  1  B>D>>A>C      D>B>>A>C

At least raising D relative to B preserved D's positive probability and
increased the ratio of their probabilities from 4/3 to 3/2, as in the
Condorcet Lottery kind of monotonicity.  Maybe something can be salvaged
here.

> That's a pity since I like your proposal. But I have seen so many rules seem
> to be monotonic at first glance and then turn out not to be monotonic that
> I'm always quite suspicious. I hope my own proof that R.B.MacSmith is
> monotonic really holds...

I wonder about the "Needle Point" method. Is it monotonic?

Remember that a needle is a maximal chain such that no member is beaten by
any preceding member either approvalwise or pairwise, but every member
beats every predecessor either approvalwise or pairwise or both.

A needle point is the sharp end of a maximal needle.

At least the needle point method survives the above example:

Both before and after D is moved up, the only needle points are A, B, and
C.

Note that AC, BC, and DA are needles both before and after the change,
while BD is a needle before and DB is a needle after.  Candidate C is not
the point of any maximal needle in either case.  So "random ballot needle
point" yields the respective winning probabilities 2, 3, 0, and 4 per
nine in both cases.

If we iterate needle, eventually we end up with B alone in the first case
and D alone in the second case.

In general it may not be a good idea to iterate needle, but in this
example it seems to amplify the effect of changing B>D to D>B.

Unfortunately needle doesn't punish the B faction defection in the example

49 C
24 B>>A
27 A>B>>C

If the B supporters truncate A, then the needle points go from A and B
(before the truncation) to C and B (after), which is a reward to the
truncators.

But if the A supporters take the precaution of raising the approval
cutoff, then A and C become the only needle point candidates whether or
not B truncates.

If we iterate in the case of B truncating, then the winner becomes C.

If we iterate in the case of C not truncating (but A raising the bar) then
the needle point candidates remain A and C.

"Random ballot among not strongly covered" seems to do better at
discouraging insincere ballots.  Do we have to sacrifice monotonicity to
some degree for that advantage?

Forest