[EM] LNHarm performance: MMPO

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Mar 29 20:48:57 PST 2005

Gervase,

--- Gervase Lam <gervase.lam at group.force9.co.uk> wrote:
> > Results:
> >
> > CDTT,MMPO,FPP: 13.7 LNHarm, 1177.5 LNHelp.
> > Schulze(wv): 193 LNHarm, 750 LNHelp.
> > Schulze(marg): 306 LNHarm, 675.5 LNHelp.
> > Schulze(opp): 291.5 LNHarm, 838.5 LNHelp.
>
> How well does just 'Plain' MMPO fare in this test?

MMPO by itself never fails LNHarm. I imagine it would have a few more
LNHelp failures than CDTT,MMPO,FPP did.

I prefer a CDTT method to MMPO, because with 4+ candidates MMPO doesn't
satisfy Minimal Defense slash SDSC or Majority for solid coalitions. This might
not in practice be a big deal, if voters realize they should try not to create
opposition of their favorites against each other. But it's still ugly.

Neither a CDTT method nor MMPO is decisive enough to use alone, so I don't
let simplicity be a big factor in MMPO's favor. CDTT with Random Ballot
satisfies Clone Independence, Majority, Minimal Defense, and 3-candidate LNHarm;
MMPO with Random Ballot satisfies LNHarm and 3-candidate Minimal Defense.

I recently attempted a page on Minimal Defense:
http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Minimal_Defense_criterion

Kevin Venzke