[EM] James, about PC and Simpson-Kramer

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 18:56:12 PST 2005

James--

You wrote:

My two cents on the rampaging "plain Condorcet" vs. "Simpson-Kramer" vs.
"minimax" debate:

	The main thing I don't like don't like about the term "plain Condorcet"
is that it sounds too much like "plain yoghurt". It sounds as if the
voters are getting a half-rate cup of Condorcet that lacks strawberries or
vanilla flavoring.

I reply:

Aren't they? They're getting the basic Condorcet, the original version, with
SFC and WDSC, but which hasn't been demonstrated to meet GSFC and SDSC, as
have SD, SSD, CSSD, BeatpathWinner and RP.

You continue:

That, and the fact that its historical accuracy is
dubious at best...

I reply:

Fact? Are you saying that's a fact because Markus said it? Look up the
translations of Condorcet's proposals. You'll find PC. One place to look
would be _Theory of Committees and Elections_, by Duncan Black.  The title
is probably as I wrote it, unless it's "...Elections and Committees".

You continue:

	I call this method "minimax", a term that comes from game theory, I
believe.

I reply:

Which method? Simpson-Kramer or PC? You said that you're replying to the
discussion of whether or not Simpson-Kramer is PC. I told why
Simipson-Kramer is not PC. If you believe that Simpson-Kramer is PC, then
tell me which statement in my two most recent "Simpson-Kramer" postings you
disagree with, and why.

Since Simpson-Kramer is not PC, and since, according to Markus, Levin, and
Nalebuff, MinMax is Simpson-Kramer, do you see the problem in calling PC
MinMax?

You continue:

Not that it really matters though, because I don't think the
method is worth using anyway.

I reply:

The Libertarian organization, Free State Project, used, and may still use,
PC, and has been quite satisfied with it.

It's certainly possible that you and I don't agree on what is important. I
consider SFC and WDSC worth getting. Maybe you don't. There's no reason to
expect everyone to value the same guarantees.

You've got to talk to some people who aren't yet familiar with voting
systems. Then you might be more tolerant of siimpler and more modest methods
such as PC and CR, which, while modest proposals, would be powerful
improvements.

Mike Ossipoff