[EM] Chris, DD, 23 March, '05, 0600 GMT

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 22 21:54:29 PST 2005

Chris--

Forgive me if I didn't know that DD meant defeat-dropper due to the fact
that you'd used the term "defeat-dropper".

And forgive me if I missed your precise and complete defintiion of your
Defeat-Dropper method.

Would you precisely and completely define your Defeat-Dropper method now?

You quoted a definition of Non-Drastic Defense:

"Non-Drastic Defense", i.e. it
has the property that if more than half  the voters
rank y above x and y now lower than equal-first, then
x can't win.

I reply:

Plurality passes Non-Drastic Defense.

Suppose that "to rank" means " to rank in a rank-balloting system". In that
case, no one can write a Plurality example that complies with the premise of
Non-Drastic Defense. That means that no one can write a Plurality NDD
failure example, and that Plurality passes NDD.

I past the definition here, for use below:

"Non-Drastic Defense", i.e. it
has the property that if more than half  the voters
rank y above x and y now lower than equal-first, then
x can't win.

Or suppose that to rank X over Y is taken to mean to vote X over Y, as I
define that term.

Then, in Plurality, the only way for a majority to vote Y over X, and to
vote Y no lower than equal first, would be if that majority voted for Y.
Gave their one Plurality vote to Y. If they do that, X can't possibly win.
Not with Y getting votes from a majority.

So, by either assumption about the meaning of ranking, Plurality meets
Non-Drastic Defense.

So, Chris, what you're saying is that your method meets a criterion that
Plurality meets.

It seems to me that we discussed your method on EM once, but I don't
remember how your method did by the defensive strategy criteria.

Maybe if NDD is defined so as to apply only toi rank methods, it would serve
the purpose of WDSC for comparing rank methods. I like WDSC because it
applies uniformly to all methods.

As I said, I don't criticize Steve's criteria. But I've recently sometimes
had them used as examples of something better than the majority defensise
strategy criteria, or as better wordings that are equivalent to the majority
defensive strategy criteria. NDD isn't equivalent to WDSC.

Mike Ossipoff