[EM] Ted's DMC proposal

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Mon Mar 21 15:30:39 PST 2005

Ted, it looks like most list members prefer ordinal ballots with approval
cutoffs to graded ballots. Perhaps those of us who like graded ballots are
not vocal enough.

I like graded ballots, and I think that (for public proposal) the standard
A,B,C,D,F scale is sufficient, with C as the default LPG slot.  Allowing
+/- options would triple the resolution.

Of course, I've been grading students that way for nearly thirty years
now, so it seems pretty natural to me.

I understood your explanation about the advantages of using the LPG option
(i.e. not approving all graded candidates) but I think it is more
confusing than helpful.  If you move the default LPG to midrange, that
part of the explanation could simply be ...

"The grades you assign to your disapproved candidates will help determine
which of them wins in the event that none of your approved candidates
wins."

My Best,

Forest