[EM] Chris, equal-ranking incentive

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 18 20:34:43 PST 2005

Chris--

I object far more
to the "equal-rank near the top" incentive that exists for some voters
(including "zero-info." voters) in equal-ranking allowed  Winning Votes
defeat-dropper.

I reply:

Remember that it's been shown that every nonrandom method gives some kind of
incentive for strategic voting. But we must distinguish between mild
incentives such as you describe, and needs for drastic misrepresentation of
preferences in order to protect majority rule, or to protect the win of a
CW.

The equal-ranking incentive that you describe is gotten rid of by AERLO.

When that equal-ranking incentive was discussed, I never denied that it's a
problem, but I claim that it's not as bad as the strategy problems that wv
avoids, and that other methods have. Problems involving need for drastic
misrepresentation of preferences to protect majority rule or to protect the
win of a CW.

But, though the equal-ranking incentive isn't as bad a problem, it would
still be better to not have it. I once mentioned that, with unenhanced wv,
if a voter considers the candidates to be in 2 sets such that the merit
difference within those sets is negligible compared to the merit difference
between those sets, that voter should rank all his/her better-set candidates
together in 1st place. I said that, being such a voter, for me wv voting
would be like Approval voting. Not a problem, because I really do consider
the candidates to be in two sets such as that. The important thing for me,
then, is to make that most important distinction.

But, since many or most wouldn't agree with me about those
acceptable/compleltely-unacceptable sets, most would have incentive to
sincerely rank all the candidates except maybe for a few whom they refuse to
rank due to principle or order-reversal-deterrence.

Still, it would be a nice luxury for everyone to have no incentive to do
other than sincerely rank those better-set candidates. AERLO ensures that.
That isn't the only value of AERLO. It, along with ATLO, also is a way to
make order-reversal-deterrence easier.

Mike Ossipoff