[EM] Automatic gerrymandering

Michael A. Rouse mrouse1 at mrouse.com
Mon Mar 14 13:08:34 PST 2005

I generally look at gerrymandering as a problem that is to be avoided at
all costs, but I thought I would have a little fun and come up with an
"automatic gerrymandering" method that might yield bizarre
representative districts but would still be relatively fair. Here's what
I came up with:

1. Count the total votes cast in an election and use the Droop Quota to
calculate the minimum number of voters to be represented by a single
legislator.
2. Determine the winners of each precinct.
3. If a contiguous group of precincts have the same winner, and the
number of voters in the precincts is equal to or greater than the
cutoff, the winning candidate becomes a representative.
4. If  a winning candidate has "surplus precincts" above the cutoff ,
the surplus becomes available for the closest candidate on down in each
precinct as long as they do not eliminate an existing district by
changing the winner, making the district non-contiguous, or dropping the
number of voters below the Droop Quota. In other words, if a candidate
won 100 precincts of equal size but only needed 90 to win, 10 precincts
are available for redistribution to the second-place candidates.
Unallocated precincts then become available to the third-place
candidates, and so on.
5. If a group of unallocated precincts  is surrounded by one or more
completed districts, then they are added to the neighboring completed
district with the highest-scoring candidate as long as they do not alter
his election. His surplus precincts then become available to other
candidates (you are basically adding precincts on one side and making
them available on the other).
6. If there are still representatives needing to be picked, unallocated
precincts are combined into "super-precincts" until there is a winner.
(I'm not sure what method of combination would be best, since there
might be multiple ways of adding precincts together which would yield
different representatives).

Of course, the downside to this would be the amount of calculation
necessary to determine an election -- candidates who win outright are
easy to pick, but choosing a winner among the other candidates is much
more difficult -- but at least with this version of gerrymandering it's
the voters in each precinct that makes the decision, not the
politicians. You might also want to make a rule that unallocated
precincts are first given to candidates who have won a sufficient number
of non-contiguous precincts, and/or candidates with the highest total
number of votes overall.

I'd be interested in seeing other ideas or refinements that others might
come up with, To be honest I still prefer anti-gerrymandering districts
(a vector quantization/Voronoi cell method would be great), but this
method might yield interesting results in states like California and
Texas. :)

Michael Rouse
mrouse1 at mrouse.com