[EM] Russ, 14 March, '05, 0700 GMT

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 13 22:56:29 PST 2005

I'd said:

>That shows what happens when someone uses formulas about whose meaning he
>hasn't a clue.

Riuss said:

This from a guy who didn't realize that basing an Approval vote on the
previous election implies voting by party.

I comment:

We've been all over that. If the electorate is similar to that of the
previous election, then candidates and proposals similar to those of the
previous election can be expected to outpoll eachother in the way that the
previous election's candidates and proposals did.

"Similar" isn't an exact term. Approval strategy, as I said, is based on
best estimates. Likewise, some statements about what Approval will do are
based on best estimate. Though the candidates won't probably really be the
same as in the previous election, it's a useful best estimate assumption
that they'll be very similar, for the purpose of some discussions of what
Approval will do. Not knowing how they'll differ in some future election,
it's of interest what happens if they don't differ significantly.

Mike Ossipoff