[EM] Ranked Approval Voting (RAV)

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Mar 13 15:08:02 PST 2005

Since we're discussing names for election methods, I'd like to propose
one: Ranked Approval Voting (RAV).

RAV works as follows:

The voter ranks the approved candidates only. The CW wins if one exists,
otherwise the least approved candidate is eliminated until a CW is found.

Equal rankings are not allowed in basic RAV. A variation could be to
allow equal ranking, in which case the name could be RAVE (RAV Equal) or
RAVERA (RAV with Equal Ranking Allowed).

I believe RAV is an excellent method and has a better chance than any
other ranking method of beating IRV for public acceptance.

Another variation of RAV could be to allow the voter to rank all the
candidates and also specify an Approval cutoff. I like that method, but
I think the requirement for specifying an Approval cutoff separate from
the rankings themselves will only confuse voters and make the method a
harder sell -- with little if any added benefit. The rankings of the
unapproved candidates are likely to be strategic anyway: most voters
will probably "bury" the unapproved candidate with the best chance of
winning, regardless of their true ranking of that candidate.

--Russ