[EM] sequential dropping

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Sat Mar 12 19:21:25 PST 2005

	I'd like to clarify a bit about this method. First, the rule itself:
*Drop the weakest defeat that is in a cycle, until there is an unbeaten
candidate.*
	Does that sound right?

	Next, I have a question about how this method compares to another method:
*If there are no pairwise ties, is this method equivalent to beatpath?*
	If the answer is yes, then I think that this is a very good method for
public proposals (although I suggest that a better name than "sequential
dropping" should be found). In a public election, the likelihood of
pairwise ties will be negligible, so the method becomes essentially
equivalent to beatpath. From a results standpoint, I strongly prefer this
method to plain minimax (drop weakest defeat, regardless of whether its in
a cycle or not).
	Furthermore, I think that it is highly intuitive and easy to explain.
(You've already explained that there is a cycle, e.g. A beats B, B beats
C, C beats A, so it is intuitive to continue with "drop the weakest defeat
in the cycle." People will intuitively understand that the defeats outside
the cycle aren't the ones that we need to cut down.)

my best,
James