[EM] Markus, 2 March, '05, 1317

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 5 07:36:54 PST 2005

Markus--

You said:

You are the only one who defines criteria in terms of sincere
preferences and not in terms of cast preferences.

I reply:

That probably isn´t strictly true. Some academic authors have defined the CW
as the candidate who´s win every pairwise comparison if we used rank
balloting and everyone voted their actual preferences...and then defined the
Condorcet Criterion by saying that the CW should always win. At least it
seems to me that I´ve run across that. No, I couldn´t say where, or who said
it. But it isn´t important. Maybe it´s true that no one else has ever
defined a voting system criterion that mentions preferences.

Of course that particular Condorcet Criterion version described in the
previous paragraph is unmeetable, but that´s beside the point.

But yes, for the most part, I´m the only one who defines criteria that
mention preference. However, I´m not the only one who uses such criteria.
Sometimes the preference version of the Mutual Majority Criterion is used by
others. They use it because they don´t want the problems that go with the
votes-only versions.

You continued:

Why should
anybody define criteria in terms of sincere preferences only
because you do that?

I reply:

How should I know why you should define criteria in terms of sincere
preference only because I do that?

If _you_ feel that you should, then that´s good enough. You don´t have to
ask me for a reason.

I´ve often repeated that I encourage you to define criteria however you want
to.

Mike Ossipoff