[EM] Russ, 2 March, 1952 GMT

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 12:14:19 PST 2005

I´d said:

    No, the Condorcet's Criterion that was at the website at the technical
evaluation page was a Mike style criterioni entirely. It referred to the CW
(which you called the IDW, defined as I define the CW), and it stipulated
sincere voting. Both the CW and sincere voting are defined by me in terms of
preference, and were defined at your website in terms of preference.

Russ replied:

If you stipulate "sincere" voting, then you are eliminating the voting
strategy and stipulating that the actual votes cast are identical to the
"sincere" or true preferences.

I reply:

Wrong. You need to read my definition of sincere voting before you try to
quote it.

Since you don´t, or shouldn´t, have it at your website now, I´ll write it
for you here:

A voter votes sincerely if s/he doesn´t falsify a preference, or fail to
vote a preference of his/hers which the balloting system in use would have
allowed him/her to vote in addition to the preferences that s/he actually
does vote.

[end of sincere voting definition]

The wording isn´t as smooth as one might like, but it´s unambiguous.

Russ continues:

In that case, a Mike-style criterion is
equivalent to a standard tally-rules-based criterion.

I reply:

...except that no-preference ("tally-based) criteria don´t make reference to
preference, and my sincere voting defintion refers to preferences, and so
any criterion that stipulates sincere voting refers to preference and is
therefore a Mike-style citerion.

Further, the my Condorcet´s Criterion defintiion additionally mentions te
CW. The CW is defined in terms of preference. So my Condorcet Criterion, the
one that you had at your website while you were permitted to, is entirely a
Mike-style criterion.

Russ continues:

You can take any standard criterion, play this trick, and call it a
Mike-style criterion.

...by adding to it a stipulation of sincere voting and mentioning the CW?
You catch on fast :-)
Then it would indeed be Mike-style criterion.

Russ continues:

You will only be obfuscating the issue and adding
nothing of any value, however.

I reply:

You´re all befuddled and confused about what you mean by a Mike-style
criterion.

That's exactly what we did with the old
Condorcet criterion on our former website

I reply:

Congratulations, that´s correct. We posted a Mike-style criterion when we
posted Condorcet´s Criterion.

Russ continues:

, and looking back at it, I
realize it was an embarrassment.

I reply:

You suddenly realized that my criteria weren´t any good a few days after I
told you that you no longer had permission to have them at your website :-)

Russ continues:

The Condorcet criterion can and should
be defined in terms of actual votes only.

I reply:

Yoiu´re saying that it _can_ only be defined that way? Well, if Condorcet
himself said it that way, then one could argue that it wouldn´t be
Condorcet´s Criterion any other way. But then you have the choice of saying
that Plurality passes, or specifically saying that only rank methods pass,
or specifically saying that Plurality fails, or saying that the method only
applies to rank methods. Then you have a rules criterion, a criterion that
makes requirements or premise stipulations that mention a method´s rules. I
prefer Mike-style criteria to rules citeria. Mike-style criteria are about
results only, not rules.

Anyway, as I was saying, if Condorcet stated a rules criterion, then you
could say that, strictly speaking, CC must be a rules criterion. But I call
my version Condorcet´s Criterion because it´s the Condorcet´s Criterion
version that is not a rules criterion, and which acts as one would expect CC
to act, anc whilch doesn´t have the problems that CC, and some other
criteria, would have if they don´t mention preference.

Now, as for "should", if all you´re saying is that CC _should_ be defined
without mentioning preference, then of course you´re merely expressing a
subjecive preference of yours, and of course you have a right to your
(newly-acquired) opinion.

I´d said:

No, that Condoret's Criterion was thoroughly a Mike style criterion, for the
reasons stated above.

Russ said:

Then "that" Condoret's Criterion wasn't the standard Condorcet
criterion.

I reply:

Why don´t you advocate that we keep the current "standard" voting system,
Plurality?

I don´t know if there´s just one standard CC definition. It seems to me that
I´ve noticed a few non-preference versions that did silly things, such as
say that Plurality passes CC, or make rules stipulations in their premise.

Which of those silly versions do you prefer?

But no, my definition is not the former standard definition, if there is a
standard definition.

But my non-rules criterion Mutual Majority has gotten quite a bit of use.

Russ continued:

I could just as well define my own version of monotonicity
too, but what would it accomplish other than making me look like a fool?

I reply:

I don´t doubt for a minute that that´s exactly what it would do. But, on the
other hand, that has never stopped you.

But if the traditional Condorcet Criterion has a fault, or if the various
"standard" versions all have their various faults, then hopefully you´ll
forgive me if I propose a different one. I use CC very little. It was you
who wanted to have my CC version at your website. I wanted to mention at the
website that it isn´t the standard version, and you opposed mentioning that.

My CC is so similar to the standard one(s) that it´s well justified to call
it CC.

I´d stated:

If no one falsifies a preference, and if a majority prefer the CW to
candidate Y, and vote sincerely, then Y shouldn't win.

Russ replied:

Actually, I think Approval passes this criterion. If that majority draw
their cutoff between X and Y, then Y can't win.

I reply:

Look, imbecile, what if I write an example in which they don´t do that?
SFC´s premise conditions stipulate that no one falsifies a preference, and
that a majority prefer the CW to Y and vote sincerely. Those are the only
premise conditions, conditions that I have to abide by when writing a
failure example.

The whole point of SFC is that all those voters need do is vote sincerely.
You think that the criterion is complied with because you can find a sincere
way they can vote that will ensure that Y won´t win. But, with a complying
method, all that´s required of them is that they vote sincerely.

You want Approval to pass SFC because if those voters guess where the cutoff
should be, they can keep Y from winning. As I said, you´ve completely missed
the point of SFC, which is that the only requirement on them is that they
vote sincerely.

Russ continues:

I realize that some criteria are defined for ranking methods only, but I
clearly recall that Mike intended for his criteria to apply to all
methods (as implied by the compliance table at the top of the old
"Technical Evaluation" page).

I reply:

You´re quite right. My criteria apply to all methods. (But FBC needs a small
fix, which I´ll state soon, and SARC needs some work too, if they´re to
serve the spirit and intent of FBC when the method is RC or something like
it).

SFC applies to Approval, and approval doesn´t pass. Neither do Plurality,
IRV, Borda, or margins Condorcet.

Russ continues:

The question is then whether rating candidates equally in Approval
constitutes a "sincere" vote when the voter doesn't really consider them
equal.

I reply:

Yes it does. The definition of sincere voting was at your website for a long
time.

Russ continues:

I say Approval passes SFC as stated above.

I reply:

What was that you said about making a fool of yourself?

Mike Ossipoff