[EM] Markus, 2 March, ´05, 1317 GMT

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 05:16:00 PST 2005

Markus--

You wrote (27 Feb 2005):

>Either it's impossible, or else no one has yet succeeded.
>Does it matter which it is?

Yes, it does matter. Election methods are defined on
_cast_ preferences and not on _sincere_ preferences.

I reply:

Wrong. Now some are defined on preferences, as opposed to only votes.

Of course you can define anything any way that you want to. So you can
define a criterion as a voting system Yes/No test that is doesn´t mention
preference. But that would be an unnecessarily narrow definition of a
criterion. A voting system criterion is a Yes/No test for evaluating voting
systems. The ones that you like don´t mention preference. But, contrary to
your claim, quoted above, those ones that you don´t like, which mention
preference, are criteria, by any reasonable definition of that term.

You continued:

Therefore, whether a given election method passes a
given criterion must depend only on how this method
handles _cast_ preferences.

I reply:

...if it´s one of the criteria that you like.

I´m not asking you to like my criteria. But you need to understand that "the
criteria that Markus likes" doesn´t mean "the set of all criteria".

You continue:

Therefore, a criterion
can be well defined only when it can be defined
without mentioning _sincere_ preferences.

I reply:

Certainly, if we accept your definition of a criterion, which says that not
mentioning preference is a requiremen for criteria. But your definition is
arbitrary and unjustifiable.

So  that´s what it comes down to: You try to jusify your claim that my
criteria are undefined because, by your definition, criteria are defined
only if they don´t mention preference. I suppose one can justify any
statement, by one´s chosen definitions.

Ok, now you´ve answered my question. You´ve told me why you think that my
criteria are undefined. Now this discussion has concluded, because you´ve
answered my question.

There´s no need for more discussion about why you believe that my criteria
are undefined, unless you have another reason for believing that, or unless
you can post an example of a situation (configuration of candidates, voters,
and voters´preferences) with which it isn´t possible to say definitely that
a some particular method passes the criterion or fails it.

You wrote (27 Feb 2005):
>In a sense a method that gives the same result is the
>same method, but in another sense it can be said to
>not be the same method, if it's a completely different
>implementation. In any case, however, when I said that
>SSD is equivalent to Schulze's method, that statement
>wasn't entirely correct.

Nope. It is not a "completely different implementation".

I reply:

Yep. BeatpathWinner and CSSD are completely different implementations. But
of course there´s also a sense in which they´re one method, which is why I
often say BeatpathWinner/CSSD.

But I don´t want to debate that issue.

Mike Ossipoff