[EM] median rating / lower quartile

Fan de Condorcet condorcetfan at delphiforums.com
Fri Mar 25 17:59:41 PST 2005

James,

You wrote:

>Given sincere votes, this may be interesting, but if votes are not
>necessarily sincere, it would be quite possible for all candidates to
>receive a social utility of 0. That is, the lower quartile feature makes
>the method into a kind of 3/4 supermajority method.
>
>However, scoring candidates by the median rather than the mean might be an
>improvement on standard cardinal ratings. Has this been discussed before?

Yes.  I once happened to stumble across an archived message, originally
posted by Rob Lanphier, in which he suggested just this.  It wasn't long
before he shot down his own idea in a follow-up message.

http://lists.electorama.com/htdig.cgi/election-methods-electorama.com/1998-April/001603.html

http://lists.electorama.com/htdig.cgi/election-methods-electorama.com/1998-April/001607.html