[EM] Re: least additional votes method (was "first wave Condocet versions...")

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 02:16:57 PST 2005

Hello James,

I think your first guess ("A single ballot that lists this candidate as the first choice, with all others tied for last") is enough to do the job.

In the example I gave I was thus thinking of additions like

101: a>b>x>c
101: b>c>x>a
101: c>a>x>b
100: x
2: x

or

101: a>b>x>c
101: b>c>x>a
101: c>a>x>b
100: x

102: a

It is possible to add other candidates names after the first one (e.g. "2: x>c>b>a") but those additions will not have any impact since x is now in any case a Condorcet winner, and the relative preference of the other candidates doesn't matter much since this is a single winner election.

Best Regards,
Juho

James Green-Armytage <jarmyta at antioch-college.edu> wrote:

Hi Juho, and welcome to the list.

>Least Additional Votes:
>"Elect the candidate that wins all others. If there is no such candidate,
>elect the one that needs least additional votes to win all others."

I'd like to clarify this, especially the second part. What exactly is an
"additional vote" in this context? A single ballot that lists this
candidate as the first choice, with all others tied for last? A reversal
of a pairwise preference in favor of this candidate?

my best,
James