[EM] Re: the simplest election reform

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Jun 16 15:53:37 PDT 2005

  I do not understand you:

First, you discard my words about primaries, as if they are not worth
rating as good, bad, or indifferent.

THEN you say primaries are your one and only topic????

A point to remember is that primaries cannot be a top topic, more
important than voting method:
      The major current method is Plurality, for which primaries perform
an essential service.
      New methods get proposed, for which primaries have little, if any,
positive value.  Discarding primaries, for having too little value to
justify their large expense in time and money, could usefully be part of
such a proposal.  Even here, it could be dangerous to specify discarding
primaries as essential - better to call them an option that can be debated
as such - rather than demanding that those who like primaries reject the
method.

DWK

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:10:34 -0700 Araucaria Araucana wrote:

> On 15 Jun 2005 at 18:32 UTC-0700, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 00:15:50 +0200 (CEST) Kevin Venzke wrote:
>>

>>>Ted,

>>You should be glad to be rid of top-two runoffs - too often, by locking
>>out the third candidate, they lock out the truly best liked candidate -
>>think of voter desires as follows, but voting Plurality plus
>>top-two:
>>

> You all are missing the point of my original question.
>
> Abd advocates allowing overvotes to instantly enable approval voting.
>
> But sneaking approval in this way doesn't solve the more general
> problem of eliminating the primary.  I *do* want to eliminate the
> primary, since it is merely an artifact of plurality/SVFPP.
>
> So sure, I say go ahead and allow overvoting.  But don't lose sight of
> the end goal.

                  If you want peace, work for justice.