[EM] Re: the simplest election reform

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 15 15:15:50 PDT 2005

Ted,

--- Araucaria Araucana <araucaria.araucana at gmail.com> a écrit :
> Approval voting is a reasonable first step.  But what do you do about
> current top-two runoffs, or primaries in general?
>
> Most of the highly-regarded single-winner methods discussed here
> involve eliminating the primary in addition to changing the ballot and
> tally methods.

However, I doubt that primaries (or something fulfilling the same function)
would really be eliminated. I largely blame the failure of LNHarm for this:
Candidates from the same faction have incentive to persuade their own
supporters to truncate, and other voters in the same faction to vote in a
friendly way towards this candidate. If one candidate seems more popular
than other candidates from the same faction, I think these efforts will
be very successful.

Kevin Venzke