[EM] Re: ICC and Approval

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Jun 12 21:55:48 PDT 2005

Let me explain how I intuitively think about clones. Forget the formal
definition and just think of clones as being perfectly identical to each
other.

Suppose a clone of George W. Bush somehow magically appeared in the 2004
election. Call them Bush-A and Bush-B. Voters who wish to support Bush
then need to decide which one to vote for. If they all coordinate and
agree on the same one, they have no problem. But if they don't, they
will split the vote and neither Bush is likely to get elected. So I
would say that plurality fails the independence of clones criterion,
although the voters can theoretically avoid the potential consequences
of the failure with coordination and agreement.

Approval has no such problem because the Bush supporters can simply vote
for both Bush-A and Bush-B. If they tie, a coin is flipped and one is
elected. Since they are exact clones, either one will do.

I think that captures the essence of the concept for plurality and
Approval, but someone will surely correct me if I am wrong.

--Russ