[EM] MMPO vs PC addendum

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Tue Jun 7 23:57:24 PDT 2005

James responding to Mike, on the subject of MMPO's LNHarm compliance...

Mike, you wrote:
>Amazingly, MMPO gives protection at both ends, so that you don't need to
>rank someone over your favorite, but, in the other direction, you also
>have
>no dis-incentive to extend your ranking as low as you want to.

	I have recently discussed this with Kevin.
	I argue that voters will have an indirect but strong incentive to
truncate, in order to deter what you call "offensive order reversal".
	Mike, you and I have agreed in previous postings that the ability to
deter by truncation may be important to the strategic stability of WV
methods. (Indeed, you have used this as a primary argument for WV over
margins.)
	If this counterstrategy is important to the stability of WV, it will be
equally important to the stability of MMPO. Thus, I argue that
counterstrategic truncation would probably be common in MMPO. If so,
MMPO's LNHarm compliance may be an empty victory in practice.

Sincerely,
James

A relevant quote from a message that I addressed to Kevin:

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2005-May/016082.html