[EM] Russ's stories about me and computer programs

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 2 02:39:37 PDT 2005

Dear Scott Ritchie,

you wrote (2 June 2005):
> On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 05:40 +0000, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:
> > BeatpathWinner and CSSD, though they're equivalent,
> > are completely different algorithms
>
> what

Until 2000, the term "Schulze method" was used for all heuristics of
this method. However, in 2000 Mike Ossipoff invented the completely
insane theory that when you want to promote the Schulze method then
you must concentrate on only one heuristic and that you must use the
same heuristic when you motivate this method, implement this method,
and prove its properties. That's why he introduced different names
for that heuristic for the Schulze method that uses Schwartz sets
("Schwartz sequential dropping", "cloneproof Schwartz sequential
dropping") and that heuristic for the Schulze method that uses
paths ("BeatpathWinner"). That's also why he sometimes makes
completely nonsensical statements like "they are equivalent,
but completely different".

Markus Schulze