[EM] AERLO loses any FBC. MMPO is Approval. Still the best public method.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 19 10:32:16 PDT 2005

AERLO obviously tries to reverse whatever has happened. It activates because
someone didn't want that candidate to win. So obviously it lessens the
chance that a winner will stay the winner.

So then, do you want to vote your most winnable acceptable candidate in 1st
place? So that s/he can win, and then face "recall" by AERLO?

If s/he wins, the opposition will rally their candidates to shared
1st-place,  in an effort to undercut that winner's score.

So vote your most winnable acceptable candidate at the bottom of your
protected set, to minimize the likellihood that s/he'll win. Then, when s/he
loses, your AERLO will promote him/her to 1st place, where his/her win won't
be contested by AERLO, because AERLO only challenges the 1st count.

And if your most winnable acceptable candidate is your favorite, then vote
your favorite at the bottom of your protected set.

So, AERLO loses FBC. MMPO with AERLO doesn't even conditionally meet
expectation FBC.

So I no longer advocate AERLO for MMPO, and so I no longer consider SPCA,
ASPCA, or CSPCA to be attainable at a reasonable price, if at all.

LIkewise for power truncation with ATLO. Together, they lose FBC just as
AERLO does, and for the same reason. Maybe a bit more aggressively.

But power truncation, by itself, is perfectly ok, and doesn't affect FBC
compliance.

ATLO by itself? I don't know, but I haven't so far noticed an instance of it
spoiling FBC compliance.

So then, now my best public election proposal is MMPO with power truncation.

And when, with that method, in an acceptable/unacceptable situation, a voter
uses his/her best strategy, protecting the acceptable candidates by AERLO
and power truncation, then MMPO with power truncation becomes identical with
Approval for that voter.

CR, when voters use their best strategy, also becomes identical to Approval.
Maybe that's true of all FBC-complying methods. Forest and Kevin, why not
check out the other FBC-complying methods, such as       tMMWV and the other
t methods described by Kevin. And like the Ordered-Bucklin variant that
Forest described, if it meets FBC.

How good properties and criterion compliances can be offered by
FBC-complying rank methods, with and without enhancements? So far MMPO has
been discussed. I'm suggesting that Forest and Kevin discuss some of the
other FBC-complying rank methods.

Anyway, back to MMPO, that's why I said that MMPO is Approval. But, without
power truncation, the voter has to deal with the strategy of ranking the
unacceptable candidates in reverse order of winnability, with the most
winnable at the bottom. That isn't a strategy problem that compares with
favorite-burial-need. It's a only a nuisance strategy-need. Approval doesn't
have that need, and power truncation gets rid of that need in MMPO.

Does MMPO improve on Approval in any way? Not for the strategic voter in an
acceptable/unacceptable situation. But Australian experience indicates that
some voters need to favorite-bury and some don't. Of course in the U.S. we
can multiply the favorite-burying percentage by a hundred. Anyway, I'm just
saying that, for the voters who don't necessarily insist on strategizing,
maybe MMPO will make sincerity a little more likely for a few of them, as
compared to Approval.

That's because, when a Nader preferrer moves Dean down from 1st place, in
MMPO, he's only increasing one of Dean's votes-against--the Nader>Dean vote
total.  That might not be Dean's worst votes-against. If there are lots of
candidates, it becomes less and less likely. Even with 3 candidates, it's
only 50-50 that Dean's worst votes-against is from Nader. In
contradistinction, in Approval, if you withdraw your vote from Dean, you
un-support him completely, treating him not better than you treat your last
choice.

My point is just that, for the person who doesn't insist on strategizing
(but I'd insist on strategizing), what I've said in the previous paragraph,
helped more by SFC, could encourage that undecided voter to vote sincerely.

That's MMPO's advantage over Approval. Of course wv has some of that
advantage too, for much the same reasons. When you lower Dean to 2nd place,
you're only increasing part of one of the beatpaths to him. Maybe the only
beatpath to Dean that that Beatpath is part of is the 1-defeat beatpath from
Nader to Dean. And of course, if it's part of a beatpath from your last
choice to Dean, it might not be the weakest defeat in that beatpath.

So, again, for the voter who is undecided about strategizing, those facts,
along with the guarantees of SFC, GSFC, SDSC, CC, Smith, ICC, and MMC could
encourage that voter to not strategize. But not me, in a public political
election. Anyway, so SSD, too, offers some sincerity encouragement that
Approval doesn't offer.

So, not everyone will strategize with SSD. But, as I've been saying, the
evidence seems to strongly suggest that lots of people will favorite-bury
unless they've been assured and convinced that the method meets FBC. Not
just all those Australians, not just the person whom I watched vote in an
Internet poll, but I myself would strategize in public political elections,
and would favorite-bury if the method doesn't meet FBC.

In EM polls I don't strategize. One nice thing about EM polls is that we're
a sincere electorate. That means that all of BeatpathWinner's criteria's
premise stipulations about sincerity are met. So we get the benefit of
Condorcet's Criterion, the Smith Criterion, ICC, and MMC. Because we vote
sincerely, the CW will win every time in BeatpathWinner.

That's why I have been and continue advocating BeatpathWinner for voting in
committees, organizations and meetings, with sincere electorates.

I don't advocate offering the enhancement options in BeatpathWinner, with
such an electorate. ATLO &/or power truncation might make a CW lose. AERLO
wouldn't do that, but it isn't needed, because EM polls should always
include Approval voting. And Approval accomplishes whatever AERLO, ATLO &
power truncation could do. So, with Approval balloting the strong strategy
is available in Approval. No point trying to duplicate that by
strategicallly enhancing BeatpathWinner.

Mike Ossipoff

Mike Ossipoff