[EM] The wiki questionaire

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 13 22:19:37 PDT 2005

A few comments about the questionaire:

It asked if a method should force people to vote honestly. I answered "--"
because the freedom to vote honestly is important, rather than being forced
to.

I added "to allow people to vote honestly", just below that. But, to clarify
the meaning, today I changed its wording to: "to get rid of the
lesser-of-2-evils problem". Despite the great importance of that to voters,
of course there's no reason to expect that to be important to EM members,
other than me.

The "trade-offs" section asked if "anti-strategic" properties are important.
I answered "__", because
the whole notion of "anti-strategy", the notion of strategy as something
that methods shouldn't be vulnerable to, is a piece of nonsense that people
copy from eachother and from journals.

What's important about strategy is the mininimization of _need_ for
strategy. That's how strategy is important.

In wv or MMPO, if you truncate to deter offensive strategy, the only
importance of that deterrence is that it keeps you from needing more drastic
defensive strategy (as you would need in Margins, for instance).

I notice that Jobst, Kevin, and someone whose initials I didn't recognize,
strongly disagree with having AERLO as an option.

To those 3 people, I say: The nice thing about an option is that it's
optional. You don't have to use it. Why would you strongly object to someone
else having that option?

Sure, of course you're strongly opposed to being free of need to do other
than rank sincerely. But is it so bad if someone else has the option of
choosing that?

I believe that an initial public proposal should be kept simple, and without
enhancements such as AERLO, ATLO, or CWP. But enhancements would be good to
have later.

About the part about equal ranking resulting in candidates having the same
probabililty of winning:
It's impossible for me to give two candidates equal probability of winning
by ranking them equal. Did the question mean "equal effect on their
win-probabilities"?

Mike Ossipoff