[EM] SSD vs MMPO. What's important in voting system results.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 10 20:22:14 PDT 2005

First, I reaffirm that I consider MMPO to be the best rank-balloting public
proposal. Maybe the best public voting system proposal, bar none, because
its unique ultimate simplicity avoids the problem that there are innumerable
rank-counts. Maybe, in a public proposal, MMPO would do better than CR or
Approval. I'd offer MMPO first.

But, though I've been saying that, and meaning it, I didn't say that _for
me_, aesthetically, and maybe even as a voter, I like MMPO better than SSD.
It seems to me that SSD has a lot of beauty, and its own kind of compelling
motivation and justification. Disregarding proposability, disregarding
MMPO's essential guarantee for the timid voter, all else being equal or
disregarded, I aesthetically prefer SSD.

How could I say that, though MMPO is the public proposal that I advocate, I
might prefer SSD, for me, as a voter, when MMPO, but not SSD, meets FBC?
Wouldn't we all benefit from FBC, even those of us who aren't
lesser-of-2-evils voters? Depends on how the method gives FBC compliance.
It depends on whether it meets FBC by giving us a no-favorite-burial
solution that SSD doesn't have, or whether it does it by removing a
favorite-burial strategy opportunity that SSD has, without substituting
another opportunity.

I haven't thoroughly looked into this, so this is just my first impression,
but it seems to me that the latter is correct. I'm not criticizing MMPO.
But, for someone who is not a lesser-of-2-evils voter, someone who won't
mis-use or over-use favorite-burial strategy, I'm suggesting that SSD's lack
of FBC compliance doesn't amount to a loss or a meaningful lack. SSD's
favorite-burial strategy opportunity is just a disastrous mis-use-temptation
for the lesser-of-2-evils voter, and that's why MMPO is better for the
voting public. As I said, with MMPO, you can emphatically absolutely assure
voters that if they rank a lesser-evil in 1st place, there's absolutely no
reason to not rank their favorite in 1st place too. That could be what can
reassure lesser-of-2-evils voters not to bury their favorite.

But, about wv's FBC failure, say you rank the expected CW equal to your
favorite, but the other people sharing your favorite don't do so, or at
least most of them don't. And the CW's voters don't truncate for deterence
as maybe they should. So say the offensive order-reversers will win unless
some small subset of those sharing your preferences vote the CW over your
favorite.

What's different with MMPO? The offensive order-reversal will still succeed,
and the only difference is that you, and the rest of your defensive-strategy
subset, won't have that opportunity to save the CW, by favorite-burial
strategy. So that could be called a lack rather than an advantage, for
people who won't mis-use or over-use that favorite-burial CW-saving
strategy.

So, for me, what I was saying in the previous paragraph means that SSD's
favorite-burial strategy is an added option for me, which is ok if I'm not
someone who will mis-use it.

I often refer to a situation in which, for a particular voter, the
candidates are in an acceptable set and an unacceptable set, and the merit
differences within those sets are negligible compared to the merit
difference between those sets.  I should have an abbreviation for that, to
avoid having to say the whole thing. I'll call it the
acceptable/unacceptable situation. As I've said, I myself judge the
candidates as either acceptable or completely unacceptable, completely
undeserving of a vote.

With the acceptable/unacceptable situation, of course Approval or or CR is
perfectly good, though not really deluxe, for the voter who perceives the
candidates in that way.

In SSD, with the acceptable/unacceptable situation, and if the voter feels
that a certain one of the acceptable candidates is likely the CW, that voter
probably would best rank that candidate in 1st place, over the others, over
his/her favorite. I hate to say that, but it seems obvious, since, strictly
speaking, the wv methods and margin methods don't meet FBC.

In MMPO, there's no reason to do that. Provided that you're not a
lesser-of-2-evils sucker, are you better off with that strategy
availability, as it is in SSD? Maybe, but what about the fact that the
opposition won't have it either? Does that tend to reduce the loss to you,
maybe outright cancel it out, when you don't have that favorite-burial
CW-saving strategy, and the opposition doesn't have it either? Well, maybe
it could be a (very) little worse for SU.

By the way, maybe that's true of lots of lacks in a voting system, and that
suggests that there are only two things that matter about voting system
results: Strategy need, and social utility (SU). If failing a criterion
doesn't cause one of those problems, then I suggest that it's a value-less
criterion. (This paragraph is the reason for the 2nd part of this message's
subject line). Of course you could say that CC relates to strategy, in the
sense that you don't need it if everyone is sincere and if there's a CW; and
that CC also relates to SU, because the CW usually maximizes SU. But, as I
pointed out to James, if the voters are timid lesser-of-2-evils voters (they
are), and if the method doesn't meet FBC, then you won't need to worry about
what happens if all or nearly all voters vote sincerely.

Back to the topic of this message: But I guess that was pretty much all I
was going to say about it. Maybe in some distant future, when better voting
systems have been in use for a long time, and when the political system has
become more honest, and the voters have better judgement, and no one is a
lesser-of-2-evils sucker (maybe the worst "greater-evil"s have been voted
out of the political system by then)--Maybe then SSD will be chosen because
of its special aesthetic beauty, and the extra luxuries of SDSC (which MMPO
has, with AERLO), GSFC, CC, Smith, ICC and MMC, which could be worth having
when there isn' t a favorite-burial problem that makes FBC necessary.

In the meantime, BeatpathWinner/CSSD is a good proposal for organizations
that won't have a favorite-burial problem. Either BeatpathWinner/CSSD or
MMPO would be fine for such an organization. Of course the advantage of
proposing MMPO to organizations is that it gives precedent for something
that is really easy to propose to the public and has a timidity-proofness
that makes it a better public proposal.

About criteria again, I suggest, as I said, that strategy-need and SU are
the only important considerations, and that criteria whose faiure doesn't
affect those things aren't important enough to mention. And I suggest that
people reconsider their assumptions about criteria, and what is essential or
important for a voting system. Maybe some criterion that you found in a
journal isn't really so important.

Mike Ossipoff