[EM] small group methods

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sun Jul 31 23:52:39 PDT 2005

Dear Ralph!

DFC means "Democratic Fair Choice (in contrast to DMC, meaning
"Definitive Majority Choice").

Shortest accurate definition of DFC: Strike out all candidates which are
defeated by a more-approved candidate, then apply Random Ballot to the rest.

(This rest is what Forest called the set P)

DFC for small groups: Determine approval by raising hands for all
candidates. Determine a "proposing voter" in whatever way (at random or
by age or by a rotating system). Let the proposing voter propose a
candidate X as winner. For each candidate Y which was more approved than
X, let those who prefer Y to X raise their hand. If no such Y has a
majority over X, X wins. Otherwise, let the proposing voter suggest a
different candidate and proceed likewise. (Introduced in
http://lists.electorama.com/htdig.cgi/election-methods-electorama.com/2005-May/015877.html)

DFC for large electorates: This is more complex since it involves other
features, namely a simple "direct support/also approved" ballot,
pre-published rankings by the candidates themselves, and a simple
pseudo-random process to pick the proposing voter. Reference:
http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Imagine_Democratic_Fair_Choice

Some further reference:
http://lists.electorama.com/htdig.cgi/election-methods-electorama.com/2005-March/015398.html

DFC has many nice properties, including monotonicity and clone-proofness.

Yours, Jobst