[EM] small group methods

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Jul 31 17:13:48 PDT 2005

Strongly recommend starting with "Robert's Rules of Order  Newly Revised
10th edition" (should still be current).

There has been more thought applied here than EM owns:
      Could be you are into a new kind of group.
      Could be you have a better idea.

For example, it is generally unhealthy to let the chair do most nominations.

BTW - while Robert's has heard of IRV, they tolerate what they call
"Preferential Voting" only if you must vote by mail, and offer IRV as an
example, though not preferred among the possible methods.

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:26:57 +0200 Jobst Heitzig wrote:

> Dear Forest!
>
> My suggestion is to use the small group version of DFC (raise hands for
> approval, let a random person (or the chair) propose a candidate,
> validate by raising hands that the proposed candidate is not beaten by
> any more approved. If so, let a different candidate be proposed until
> one is found which is not beaten by any more approved one).
>
> Yours, Jobst
>

> Simmons, Forest wrote:
>
>>I'm interested in hearing a variety of ideas for voting in small
>>groups where, for example, hands can be raised, repeated balloting is
>>not a problem, etc.
>>
>>One application I have in mind is text book selection.  At PCC all
>>sections of Calculus 251 must use the same text book.  The math
>>Subject Area Curriculum Committee, the "Math SACC," has the
>>responsibility for selecting the text.  The current practice is to
>>have a subcommittee narrow down the field, and then have the whole
>>Math SACC vote on the finalists.
>>
>>Another application is for the math hiring committee.  Currently this
>>committee narrows down the field from a hundred or so applicants to a
>>number between ten and twenty to interview.  After the interviews
>>they narrow the number down to something between three and six.  Then
>>the campus dean makes the final decision of who gets hired.
>>
>>I have other applications in mind, too, such as a group deciding
>>which tourist attraction to visit next when there are several to
>>choose from and only limited time, or a deciding which restaurant to
>>go to, etc.
>>
>>Forest

                  If you want peace, work for justice.