[EM] "All election methods have de facto front end lotteries" AND (as a free bonus) "beatpath with simple ballots"

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Jul 29 11:14:12 PDT 2005

At 10:13 PM 7/28/2005, Simmons, Forest wrote:

>Use an unbiased random sample of the voters at the front end of the
>election as a "voter jury" style panel for the purpose of getting true
>polls of the right type, etc.  This official voter panel (where every
>voter has an equal chance of being chosen) would offset some of the damage
>done by the biased corporate polls, where only voters that are near their
>telephones during the polling hours get polled, the questions are leading,
>the anwers are misrepresented, the answers have no bite, so theycan be
>attempts at manipulation, etc.

This is related to Warren Smith's DDJ (which I think means Direct Democracy
by Jury). Unless properly implemented, which could be quite difficult, it
could be subject to corruption, unless the identity of the voters is kept
secret. And if the voters are kept secret, then who is the keeper of the
secrets? (Mr. Smith has answers for these questions, or at least for some
of them.)

I'm not saying it is a bad idea. Indeed, there is a resemblance here to my
own FA/DP concepts, which ideally use *complete* representation to create
voter recommendations; the theory is that the FA/DP structure can be
designed to maximize the trustworthiness of the organization. I've
described how this can be done many times, for now I'll leave it to the
imagination of the reader. Really, any process which does that (maximize
trust, particularly in a real way, not a way that merely creates an
appearance) would serve.

http://beyondpolitics.org/wiki