[EM] Dave on approval, ranked ballots

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Jul 28 08:08:43 PDT 2005

Dave,

--- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
> Ok, we are debating the meaning of words, and I am getting a headache:
>
> In the IRV example IRV clearly ignores the 27 votes for Nader for they are
> masked by the 27 for Buchanan.
>
> In the Condorcet examples all of the voters assertions get considered,
> though some are too minor to affect the result.
>
> Kevin says the label "ignore" applies to both actions; I do not see that,
> but the dictionary does not clearly back me.

No, I'm saying that this isn't a good characterization of what Condorcet is
doing. Condorcet does not find that the "A>B>C" ballots are too minor to affect
the result: Those ballots help decide that B loses. But the winner isn't A.

Suppose I repeatedly ask you, "Do you want a hamburger or a pizza?" And
whatever you respond, I give you the wrong one consistently. You couldn't say
that I'm "ignoring" your decision, or that your opinion is "too minor to affect
the result." You are affecting the result. I'm simply using your answer in
a way that you wouldn't want.

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:27:07 +0200 (CEST) Kevin Venzke wrote:
>
> > Dave,

> >>Huh?  When they SAID they preferred B, they GOT B.
> >
> > They had already said they preferred B to C.
>
> They can do all kinds of thinking before they mark the ballot, but can say
> only ONE thing on the ballot.

The change I gave was from "A>B>C" to either "B>A>C" or "B>C>A." B is
preferred to C in any of these cases.

Kevin Venzke