[EM] Margins vs. Winning Votes

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Jul 26 14:20:04 PDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:51:12 -0500 Paul Kislanko wrote:

>  Dave Ketchum wrote
>

>>I think we should charge Paul with throwing mud.
>>
>>Juho has created a couple examples packaged as basic tie
>>elections, with
>>one extra vote added in that gives the odd voter full control
>>as to winner
>>  under wv rules.
>>
>>Paul notes - as a big deal - that by not starting with a tie,
>>the results
>>would be different.
>>

> Paul noted nothing of the sort. So Dave Ketchum is "throwing mud".
>
> Paul noted that there is a qualitative difference between 3-alternative and
> 2-alternative elections. If Dave wants to dispute that, he is free to
> disprove Arrow's Theorem and after he gets a Nobel Prize for that he can
> accuse Paul of throwing mud.

What is the difference?

Juho was setting up ties.  He did it with two alternatives:
      1000 A>B
      1000 C>D

How would adding in the following make a difference?
      1000 E>F

Remember that the topic is ties, rather than splitting up a district with
a fixed quantity of real voters.  The district could have had 3000 real
voters in 2 groups of 1500 or 3 groups of 1000 - or whatever made the
desired example.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.