[EM] Quitting EM

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Jul 20 08:10:42 PDT 2005

At 12:34 AM 7/20/2005, Anguo wrote:
>As you know, I've recently re-opened my own
>Approval/Condorcet forum.

Actually, I don't know. Where is it?

>  Yet I feel better election
>methods, however important I feel they are,  are not the
>way that would have the quickest and best positive effect
>on the society. That's why I'm not more active myself on
>this topic, but I have instead worked to improve another
>web site: http://www.reuniting.info/ , not related to EM at
>all, but which could help couples and families regain some
>harmony NOW, not in an unfoseeable future.

In the realm of social organization (election methods are a small part of
that topic), I'd suggest looking at http://beyondpolitics.org/wiki and at
http://av.beyondpolitics.org. BeyondPolitics.org is dedicated to Free
Association/Delegable Proxy as an organizational method and tool and has
completely general applications; and there is a plan which begins today,
and extends to a future society that is vastly different politically. (That
plan is not an imposition, just an idea for how to proceed beginning now.
The plan sees steps that are available now and that could be foreseen to be
available in the future if the "now" steps are taken.)

http://av.beyondpolitics.org is an application of FA/DP ideas to the
Approval Voting community. It is (1) open to participation by all -- it is
a wiki -- and (2) is designed to allow participation on many levels, from
barely interested, might look at it once a year level, to as much energy as
one would care to put in. Participation is not limited to members with any
political viewpoint (as far as I am concerned, even IRV supporters are
welcome, and even if they think AV is a bad idea, as long as they can be
polite...), and membership in a Free Association does not imply endorsement
of any controversial view. And it is free.

Lift a finger, change the world. But most people won't lift a finger.

[For those readers not familiar with colloquial English, "lift a finger" is
a common expression for a minimal effort, usually used negatively, as in,
"He wouldn't even lift a finger to help me."]

New slogan:

Change the world in one easy step.
(We will change it for you.)

Told that one to my wife last night. She said, "I really don't like it."
That's the point!