[EM] Iraq election system

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sun Jan 30 09:26:34 PST 2005

James Green-Armytage wrote:
> 	There also seems to a series of "governorate councils", which will also
> be up for election tomorrow. It looks like there will be about 18 of
> these, and most of them will have 41 members. They seem to be more of a
> local branch of the government. It's not too clear to me what they will...

I thought I saw something to the effect that there will be two separate
ballots-- one national, and one regional.  In addition the Kurds were to
have a third ballot, to vote for their own Kurdish national council.  I
didn't hear any details about that election.

I guess closed party list makes a lot of sense when the candidates
themselves are practically anonymous for security reasons.

Bart