[EM] Re: approval strategy (Russ Paielli)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Jan 20 13:30:24 PST 2005

Ralph,

 --- RLSuter at aol.com a écrit :
> Because it would be next to impossible for any approval
> strategy formula to account for all these differences, I'm
> skeptical about all formulas that purport to express ideal
> strategies for supporters of particular candidates. Before
> one can hope to know the best strategy for a particular
> voter, one must know how strongly and in what ways that
> voter favors or disfavors all of the different candidates,
> not just the one she or he favors the most.

I'm still confused by your use of "formulas." This makes me think
you're referring to general advice such as "vote for the best front-
runner and everyone preferred to him." But that kind of advice doesn't
say anything about specific candidates' supporters. A "front-runner"
is just a candidate with high perceived probability of winning.

I guess I can't tell whether you're saying that scenarios people
have offered (Republican, Democrat, Green, etc.) are unrealistic,
or else that general approval strategy can't even be defined.

Kevin Venzke