[EM] monotonicity and summability criteria

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Jan 17 23:50:22 PST 2005

Russ Paielli 6049awj02-at-sneakemail.com |EMlist| wrote:

> It occurred to me a while back that the two criteria may be equivalent.
> That is, if a method passes monotonicity, perhaps it must also pass
> summability, and vice versa. That's just a hunch. Can anyone prove (or
> disprove) it?

Let me partially answer my own question. It just occurred to me that
summability cannot imply monotonicity because it says nothing about how
the final array sum is interpreted to determine the winner. However, the
converse could perhaps still be true. Does monotonicity imply summability?

By the way, if any math experts don't like my wording of the summability
criterion, please tell me how it should be worded. Thanks.

--Russ