[EM] approval strategy

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Jan 17 18:09:22 PST 2005

Let me try my first "normal" post. At the risk of repeating a point that
has probably already been made many times in the past ...

Voter strategy in Approval will be simple at first, but it could become
very difficult later. Simple formulas are nice, but they cannot resolve
the dilemma that voters could eventually face.

Let's say that Approval has just been adopted. Well, Greens will vote
for their Green candidate plus the Democrat and everyone else they
prefer to the Democrat. That's the easy part.

But now let's say that Approval has been in use for several election
cycles, and the Green is starting to catch up to the Democrat. Well, the
Green Party will certainly urge their supporters to drop their vote for
that pesky Democrat. But if they take the advice, they risk handing the
election over to the Republicans, of course.

A familiar dilemma? Of course. It's the "lesser of two evils" problem
rearing its ugly head again, albeit in a slightly different form. But
this time it may actually be worse. In plurality, the strategy is
obvious, but in Approval it won't be. Many Greens who would abandon
their Green candidate without a second thought under plurality will be
more tempted, under Approval, to instead abandon the Democrat if the
Greens actually have a chance. And of course the Greens will say that
they *do* have a chance "if only you schmucks would vote for us and not
the Democrat." Heck, they're already saying that under plurality, but
now they will have some credibility.

The bottom line is that Approval Voting is not a panacea, but I'm sure
everyone here knows that. Having said all that, it *does* give voters
more choices, and I think it is well worth a try. But we need to start
at the bottom, with local elections. And we need to understand that
public skepticism is not completely unwarranted.

--Russ