[EM] Re: electionmethods website is cancelled

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Jan 16 13:31:59 PST 2005

Bart Ingles bartman-at-netgate.net |EMlist| wrote:

> Seems to me it's Russ's web site.  If he wants collaborators or
> feedback, he certainly knows where to find them.  I think most of us
> would be willing to review and comment on anything on the site, or any
> proposed changes to it.
>
> Bart

I welcome corrections of any errors at http://ElectionMethods.org. Other
feedback is welcome too, although I obviously cannot guarantee that I
will act on it.

By the way, I designed the site myself, but I am not a professional
graphic artist or webpage designer. I like it, but others apparently
consider it hideous. In any case, I consider it noteworthy that I did it
all with standard HTML and no fancy design tools (just a lot of
experimentation).

When Mike and I started out, Rob Lanphier was also interested in
participating. I even came up with a name for our group: the Election
Methods Education and Research Group (EMERG). I thought it was a nice
acronym, although it's already in use in another domain (as google will
tell you).

Well, Rob thought I was wielding too much control and he dropped out
very early. He had sent me an article on Arrow's theorem, and I
completely rewrote it, which he didn't appreciate. Now that Mike has
dropped out too, there's not much of a "group" left.

I am currently undecided about what to do with the site. I don't really
want to spend a lot of time on it. I understand that Election methods
are a very interesting theoretical topic, but from a practical
standpoint I think it all really boils down to stopping IRV and getting
Approval adopted. Condorcet is out of the question for public elections
for the foreseeable future.

Also, I am considering pursuing another advocacy endeavor involving
nuclear power. As explained at http://RussP.org/nucpower.htm, I believe
that the abandonment of nuclear power by the US a couple of decades ago
was based on incredible ignorance and is causing 40,000 Americans to die
needlessly every year of lung disease (among several other major
problems it is causing). I am considering co-authoring a book on the
topic, which would leave me with approximately zero time for election
methods.

Given all that, I am willing to consider handing over control of the
domain to an election-methods expert who agrees, more or less, with the
current position of the site and likes the basic layout but would like
to develop it further. If anyone is interested, please contact me. Thanks.

Russ Paielli